Introducing SEA Online Classes
Blair Lee and Michelle Parrinello-Cason are excited to announce the launch of their newly-formed partnership: SEA Online Classes. Together, Blair and Michelle have built a platform for a different kind of online class, and they are now open for enrollment.
More about Blair
Blair Lee, MS earned her Bachelor’s degree in Biology and Master’s degree in Chemistry at the University of California San Diego. Blair is the author of The Science of Climate Change: A Hands-On Course, the primary author for the critically acclaimed REAL Science Odyssey Series, and co-author of Project-Based Learning: Creating a Modern Education of Curiosity, Innovation, and Impact.
She has been involved in science education for over two decades, first as a community college professor and secondly as a curriculum developer. Blair writes concept-rich, hands-on courses that include mainstream science presenting the accepted facts, theories, and models as would be recommended by the majority of practicing experts in each field of science. She is a passionate advocate of innovative academics where the focus is on how subjects are best learned. Through her speaking and writing, her goal is to empower educators to dare to be innovative and create something unique and academically-rich when handcrafting their students’ education.
Blair is also the founder of Secular, Eclectic, Academic Homeschoolers and SEA Books & More. The SEA Community has been asking Blair to teach online classes for years. With her son, whom she homeschooled from 1st grade through high school graduation, now thriving in college, Blair is excited to start SEA Online Classes and have the opportunity to support homeschoolers around the world on their own unique journeys through learning.
More about Michelle
Michelle Parrinello-Cason has a Ph.D. in English and more than 15 years of experience as an educator. She has worked in university writing centers and taught in public and private institutions including six years as a full-time community college English professor. She is also a homeschooling mom of two who designs curriculum in the humanities including writing, reading, philosophy, and cultural studies.
She is the founder of Dayla Learning, a place for “homeschooling the humanities with humanity” and has been designing and teaching online classes for high schoolers and middle schoolers for the past three years.
As an educator, Michelle’s foundational belief is rooted in trust and respect. She believes in teaching as a facilitator who moves alongside learners and helps them identify and reach their own goals. She avoids the antagonistic struggles between teachers and learners that often plague writing instruction by emphasizing a process-centered approach and reminding students frequently that “it’s okay to make a mess.” She also believes in creating authentically engaging learning conditions with room for learners to make it their own.
What Makes SEA Online Classes Different
SEA Online Classes aims to provide a unique online class experience that offers the flexibility for homeschooling families to find the right fit for their individual needs. To do that, the platform has been designed with some guiding principles in mind:
- Secular Academic Vetted Material– SEA Online Classes is committed to providing materials that are accessible and appropriate for learners of all or no faiths. All materials are reviewed by experienced educators dedicated to maintaining secular academic curricula.
- Interdisciplinary- Many of the courses offered connect disciplines to one another to enrich the learning experience. A team of experts works together for content creation and implementation planning.
- Project-focused– Many of the courses offer hands-on learning experiences with a project focus that allows learners to fully engage as they apply academic and vocational skills to their learning.
- Flexible– Courses are offered in a variety of formats to meet different family needs.
- Live– Scheduled interaction and feedback with some live sessions
- Guided- Scheduled interaction and feedback with no live sessions
- Online Self-Paced– Materials and instruction delivered interactively online with no live meetings or feedback
- PDF Download Self-Paced– Materials and instruction for delivery with no live meetings or feedback
- Personalized Feedback Add-Ons– Opportunity for instructors to scaffold students over the course of several projects
- Collaborative- SEA Online Classes wants to be a supplement to families’ existing homeschool practices. Many courses offer opportunities for teachers to work alongside learners and parents to identify goals and craft paths to reach them.
- Parent/Guardian Meetings– Many courses begin with a parent/guardian meeting to go over the structure and format of the individual class to get input from parents/guardians on what they are hoping learners get out of the experience.
- Engaging- Course content is interactive and encourages learners to participate in the ways they best learn.
- Trimester Basis- Class scheduling is done around a trimester basis for planning and marketing purposes. However, course offerings in a variety of lengths begin and end at different times within the trimester, allowing families to craft a course schedule that works for them. The goal is to provide flexibility for varied situations while still providing families the opportunity to plan their academic schedules.
- Effective Educational Platforms– Course offerings are delivered through educational platforms that allow for interactive, robust, and meaningful learning experiences. These include self-graded comprehension checks, interactive message boards, embedded video activities, a thorough gradebook suitable for recordkeeping, and streamlined assignment submission and feedback.
- Experts- The SEA Online Classes team of educators has training and expertise in their fields.
- Experience– The SEA Online Classes team of educators has experience teaching and delivering high-quality information in a variety of settings and formats.
- Fairly Compensated– The SEA Online Classes team of educators receives fair pay in a supportive environment of collaborative colleagues.
Learn More and Sign Up
SEA Online Classes is now live for enrollments and excited to work with our first group of students. You can learn more about the current offerings by visiting our website. You can also follow us on Facebook for updates!